About Me

My photo
Back in my hometown of Jonesboro., Arkansas, United States
My name is Dimitri Harris and I have been building frames for over 9 years now. I learned the basics after spending two weeks with Koichi Yamaguchi. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met and I am thankful to have worked with him. Since then I have just been building one frame after another and learning as much as possible along the way. I build steel fillet-brazed frames that go by the name of MEECH, which is an old nickname that I have had since I was a kid. I build mostly cyclocross frames because I love their versatility however I also do road,single-speed, and mountain bikes as well. Custom frames start around $1400. All the frames are handmade by me here in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I am insured and guarantee all of my work so if you are in the market for a custom steel frame I would be glad to build it for you. I am also building frames from carbon fiber so if you would like to ride a prototype frame give me a shout. Thanks for stopping by. You can email me at meech151@hotmail.com or call (870)897-6703 or visit www.meechcustombicycles.com Thanks.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Homemade vs. Store Bought

I just finished making this second pair of stays which is more along the lines of the traditional Sting.  They truly are hand made as the stays on the bottom are just seat stay caps that are brazed in, however I do like the way they look as they lay tighter against the frame and don't stick out as far.    Good news is, they are both dangerous.  The ones on the bottom have a sharp tip whereas the top pair are a bit edgy around the sides. Its all just personal preference from here.  The homemade stays are way lighter though and lighter translates into speed.  These new stays should be in place shortly and then its on to the fork.  I'm gonna save the "silver arrows" for my own personal BMX frame that I'm gonna build and jump it over a bus.  Ok, maybe a Hot Wheels bus.  Once I was thinking of doing a publicity stunt for MEECH Bicycles.  On many of my road rides I ride across the Lake Norfork bridge and I'm always thinking, " Man, I would so like to jump my bike off that bridge."  Of course I would be landing in water right?  Well, depending on the lake level the drop could be anywhere from 40-80 feet.  Thats a long way down, and since I haven't jumped a bicycle in like 20 years or so I imagine I wouldn't exactly execute the perfect form and hitting the water on your back or side from like 50-60 feet up could hurt, it could hurt bad.  So anyway, like always I've given in to common sense and pussed out again on my comeback. Man, I miss the old Meech who would just do things and think about it later at the doctor's office.  Guess I'll just keep making frames and let you guys do all the stunts.

Some of these ads that they're putting up on my blog are annoying me.  Most are ok, like the bike or motorcycle ads, but there is one that they've been running lately that says, "Putting on your pretties", and its a bunch of pink girls clothes.  All sure I'm not liking that but luckily right next to it there is a Can-Am ad that helps keep the machismo in the room. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment