About Me

My photo
Back in my hometown of Jonesboro., Arkansas, United States
My name is Dimitri Harris and I have been building frames for over 9 years now. I learned the basics after spending two weeks with Koichi Yamaguchi. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met and I am thankful to have worked with him. Since then I have just been building one frame after another and learning as much as possible along the way. I build steel fillet-brazed frames that go by the name of MEECH, which is an old nickname that I have had since I was a kid. I build mostly cyclocross frames because I love their versatility however I also do road,single-speed, and mountain bikes as well. Custom frames start around $1400. All the frames are handmade by me here in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I am insured and guarantee all of my work so if you are in the market for a custom steel frame I would be glad to build it for you. I am also building frames from carbon fiber so if you would like to ride a prototype frame give me a shout. Thanks for stopping by. You can email me at meech151@hotmail.com or call (870)897-6703 or visit www.meechcustombicycles.com Thanks.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Little Fillet-Brazing

Finally got Andy D's cross frame brazed up yesterday morning.  As always, I build the rear triangle first, check the wheel alignment then the chainring clearance before proceeding.

Forgot to take a photo of the full frame tacked but I imagine you've all seen enough of those.



Can you fillet?

I bet you can.

Just pick up a torch and a stick of brass and melt it on just like you're painting it on.

I like this photo.  Little Mavic Carbonification in the rear view.  You don't think I throw just any wheel in between the stays  for mock-up purposes do you?


This one is for you Beau.


Throw a wheel in when its all finished just for good measure.  Need to stick a couple of braze-ons on it this afternoon then clean it up for some primer.  I hope to do a little painting in this coming week.  Working part time at the bistro has slowed down my actual frame production but its increased my enthusiasm for building frames and its gonna allow me to broaden the dream a little more in the future, plus they make some really good food and the atmosphere is good. If you're in Mountain Home you should check it out, 870 Bistro. I've already got plenty of work to keep me busy through the end of the year and probably starting the new year.  I've also got a plan for the year ahead. After I finish Andy's frame I'm gonna get to work painting some stuff for the Texas Handmade Show at the end of October.  When I get back from that I have a handful of frames to build for customers that will probably take me into the new year including my first BMX build that should be interesting.  During all this I plan on purchasing some more painting equipment to use when I can get it, and oh yeah, those carbon fiber dreams are still stirring in my head.  I really would like to get some carbon frame building under my belt this coming year.  So anyway, you've heard that one before but I really do want to make it happen its just gonna take some prioritizing (did I spell that correctly?) and I may just have to step away from steel for a short time or just take a limited number of orders and then after I get the carbon process dialed in I will be set up to do both more efficiently, that would be ideal. We'll see.  I remind myself that frame building is a long-term educational experience.  This coming year will be the start of year 5 of the frame building dream for me.  I think I'm somewhere right over 100 frames built and I still love it. Numbers don't matter though, its quality over quantity at MEECH.  Race on racers!  Never say die! Ever onward!  Victory or death!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment