About Me

My photo
Back in my hometown of Jonesboro., Arkansas, United States
My name is Dimitri Harris and I have been building frames for over 9 years now. I learned the basics after spending two weeks with Koichi Yamaguchi. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met and I am thankful to have worked with him. Since then I have just been building one frame after another and learning as much as possible along the way. I build steel fillet-brazed frames that go by the name of MEECH, which is an old nickname that I have had since I was a kid. I build mostly cyclocross frames because I love their versatility however I also do road,single-speed, and mountain bikes as well. Custom frames start around $1400. All the frames are handmade by me here in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I am insured and guarantee all of my work so if you are in the market for a custom steel frame I would be glad to build it for you. I am also building frames from carbon fiber so if you would like to ride a prototype frame give me a shout. Thanks for stopping by. You can email me at meech151@hotmail.com or call (870)897-6703 or visit www.meechcustombicycles.com Thanks.

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Yamaguchi Frame Building Workshop

Yesterday I came across these older photos from the Yamaguchi Frame Building workshop and it had me reminiscing a little.  It was a great experience and just a good time in general.  Since the new frame building photos aren't coming as quickly as I'd like, I thought I'd share some of the ones where it all started.

This is Judd...,

and this is Will.  I have no idea where these guys are or if they're still building frames.  It would be cool to talk to them to see what's up.  Both very interesting guys.

Now this is a frame-building workshop!

Handing me anything that is capable of starting a fire is usually not a good thing.  I've started a handfull of fires in my earlier days.  Did I ever mention the time I helped light up the neighborhood baseball field.  Koichi told us one story about watching either an oxygen or acetylene tank shoot straight up into the sky like a rocket.  Glad I haven't done that. Although, I'm not done building frames yet.


"Break out the grinder!"  I'm not sure this is a good idea when building bike frames, however if you got the steady hand go for it. 


Love this table.  The name slips my mind at the moment however they're imported and retail for around $6000 if I remember correctly.  They used to be available through Strawberry Cyclesport. Marchetti I believe is the brand, perhaps Marchetti Lang.




Happy day!

If you ever get the itch to build a frame, Koichi Yamaguchi is an excellent teacher and one of the most interesting bicycle enthusiast you'll ever meet. Check him out.

These are the first 4 frames I built.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment