About Me

My photo
Back in my hometown of Jonesboro., Arkansas, United States
My name is Dimitri Harris and I have been building frames for over 9 years now. I learned the basics after spending two weeks with Koichi Yamaguchi. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met and I am thankful to have worked with him. Since then I have just been building one frame after another and learning as much as possible along the way. I build steel fillet-brazed frames that go by the name of MEECH, which is an old nickname that I have had since I was a kid. I build mostly cyclocross frames because I love their versatility however I also do road,single-speed, and mountain bikes as well. Custom frames start around $1400. All the frames are handmade by me here in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I am insured and guarantee all of my work so if you are in the market for a custom steel frame I would be glad to build it for you. I am also building frames from carbon fiber so if you would like to ride a prototype frame give me a shout. Thanks for stopping by. You can email me at meech151@hotmail.com or call (870)897-6703 or visit www.meechcustombicycles.com Thanks.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Gravel Road Racer

Here's a little frame I brazed up yesterday.  I started on this last week and it was inspired by all the recent talk of endurance bikes.  I also found something on a gravel road racer that I believed was made by Salsa, maybe?  Anyway, I don't know how many gravel road races there actually are however I do know that from the time I bought my first cross bike some 14-15 years ago, I always thought it would be great to have a frame that would accommodate the cross tires but still fit under your average caliper road brake.  Cross brakes are quite a bit better now than they used to be, sort of, not really, I guess I was never good at setting them up properly.  I actually had V-brakes on my first cross bike, a steel Bianchi sized 60cm, and it had a Marzocchi suspension fork with about an inch of travel.  The fork weighs more than most of the frames that I build.  Damn, that bike was a beast to ride but it made for some killer winter training and I vaguely remember winning one downhill city limit street sign sprint.  This frame is a 56cm with a 56.5cm top tube, has 73 degree angles, and a 60mm bb drop.  I put some beefy chain stays on it and lengthened them to about 420 mm to accommodate a 28-32c tire.  I got some sweet Racer Medium brakes from Paul's Components the other day that I think I may incorporate into the project, or you could use a long pull caliper from Cane Creek, Shimano, or whoever else but I doubt they'll look as cool as Paul's.

Internal brake cable...

..out the back door and down.

The Anne Marie has been finished for a while now but I forgot that I built this frame with the intention of wider tires, mainly for safety reasons.  My wife is a little accident prone.  Anyway, regular calipers wouldn't quite reach the braking surface and so I had to wait on some longer pull brakes.  She's fixin to go give it a test ride right now.

These Cane Creek calipers fit the bill.

Love those pedals.  Ride Sally ride!  My mother-in-law's name is Sally.
The Marzoke I was talking about.  Tipped the scales at 3.44 lbs.  I've got some plans for this thing somewhere down the road.  Just waiting for the right application.

Paul's Racer Medium brakes.

You like?

No comments:

Post a Comment