About Me

My photo
Back in my hometown of Jonesboro., Arkansas, United States
My name is Dimitri Harris and I have been building frames for over 9 years now. I learned the basics after spending two weeks with Koichi Yamaguchi. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met and I am thankful to have worked with him. Since then I have just been building one frame after another and learning as much as possible along the way. I build steel fillet-brazed frames that go by the name of MEECH, which is an old nickname that I have had since I was a kid. I build mostly cyclocross frames because I love their versatility however I also do road,single-speed, and mountain bikes as well. Custom frames start around $1400. All the frames are handmade by me here in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I am insured and guarantee all of my work so if you are in the market for a custom steel frame I would be glad to build it for you. I am also building frames from carbon fiber so if you would like to ride a prototype frame give me a shout. Thanks for stopping by. You can email me at meech151@hotmail.com or call (870)897-6703 or visit www.meechcustombicycles.com Thanks.

Monday, May 7, 2012

Wonder if anti-lock is in the works?

Since it looks like disc-brakes on road bikes are only a short time away I started wondering what would be next.  Anti-lock?  Traction control?  You know that your average high-end road racer cost as much as a new motocross bike right now don't you? However with the MXer you get a state-of-the-art motor and a suspension that will let you jump over a bus and not feel the landing.  And Kawasaki is already selling the traction control on their KX. The other day I stumbled across some limited edition Colnago, don't think it had disc-brakes on it, but anyway the retail on it was like $18,000.00.  Por Dios Senor Colnago! Que piensa usted?  It weighed 15.5 lbs., thats over the UCI weight limit, virtually a tank by todays standards.  Funny thing is, somebody will actually buy one.  The other day we got caught out in a little shower and with my worn tires when I would stand up on hills and put a little leg into it my rear wheel was unhooking.  I wouldn't mind a little traction control on my MEECH.  My wife's car has a little bell that lets you know when you are about to back into something.  It starts out really slow and gets faster the closer you get.  I like it.  Maybe we can get something like that on our bikes that tells us when we are about to slam into something head on.  Preferably some sort of robot-like voice that when you are descending a dangerous mountain it could give you a heads up.  "YOU ARE GOING TOO FAST.  PLEASE APPLY BRAKES NOW. YOU ARE GOING TOO FAST.  APPLY BRAKES NOW.  TOO FAST, TOO FAST! STOP YOU CRAZY SOB!  YOU ARE GOING TO KILL US BOTH YOU IDIOT!..........AN  Ambulance is on the way.  NICE RIDE YOU COWBOY!"

Actually, having a robot guy to talk to on those long solo rides isn't that bad of an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment