About Me

My photo
Back in my hometown of Jonesboro., Arkansas, United States
My name is Dimitri Harris and I have been building frames for over 9 years now. I learned the basics after spending two weeks with Koichi Yamaguchi. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met and I am thankful to have worked with him. Since then I have just been building one frame after another and learning as much as possible along the way. I build steel fillet-brazed frames that go by the name of MEECH, which is an old nickname that I have had since I was a kid. I build mostly cyclocross frames because I love their versatility however I also do road,single-speed, and mountain bikes as well. Custom frames start around $1400. All the frames are handmade by me here in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I am insured and guarantee all of my work so if you are in the market for a custom steel frame I would be glad to build it for you. I am also building frames from carbon fiber so if you would like to ride a prototype frame give me a shout. Thanks for stopping by. You can email me at meech151@hotmail.com or call (870)897-6703 or visit www.meechcustombicycles.com Thanks.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Jonathan's Frame. Let's Paint!

Just finished smoothing out the fillets on Jonathan's frame and shot a couple of photos to show the work.  It seems like its been forever since the last frame I built, I've forgotten which one it was.  Anyway, my schedule these last couple of months has been all over the place and since I started painting a little bit I've had to focus on a little more than just the building.  I don't even worry about numbers anymore, I just focus on the project at hand and when its completed I go to the next.  This frame turned out really nice and Jonathan is hip to let me paint it for him, and I don't think he's that scared either.  He's a pure racer and doesn't seem too worried about the paint but I'm still gonna try to surprise him with a bada$$ paint job, after all, its gonna have my name on it.  Crossed fingers.

Some of my fillet brazing shots.  You may get tired of looking at them, I know sometimes I do, but I do it so that people can see what kind of work is under their paint, which is what makes a frame good or not.  You can paint a piece of  crap gold but go try and spend it. Actually all the framebuilders that I know do really good work.  Custom framebuilding is all about how good can you make it.  There is a lot of heart and soul in a handmade frame, not to mention blood, sweat, and sometimes tears. I've never actually cried while building a frame but there have been some times in the past that I wanted to, but i didn't, .....seriously I didn't.  If you make a mistake, you can cry about it, throw tools at the wall, or whatever but when its all said and done you're still just gonna have to fix it, might as well get on with it. I take my time when building a frame and it cuts down greatly on mistakes.  This frame was all smooth sailing. I had a friend that once threw his TV through his window when his football team lost and caused him to lose a little money.  Instead of just paying the bet, he paid for a new window and a new TV.  He still said it felt good and he'd do it again.  It was good entertainment, much better than the game.



Secret code? Winning lotto numbers?  Can't tell ya.

First time I've used HJ's dropouts.  They're not bad to work with.  I guess I need to do a little filing on those edges.


Little personal touch done by Mark at Mainline Awards here in Mountain Home, he does the bb shells for me.

Got a little Enve huh?

I always make sure they're perfectly aligned before painting.  Throw a level on the table and a level on the main triangle and if it needs tweaking, tweak it.  Let's paint.  Gonna go get some primer tomorrow and hopefully knock out a paint scheme by the end of the week.  Check back to see what I pull off.  Hasta luego.

No comments:

Post a Comment