About Me

My photo
Back in my hometown of Jonesboro., Arkansas, United States
My name is Dimitri Harris and I have been building frames for over 9 years now. I learned the basics after spending two weeks with Koichi Yamaguchi. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met and I am thankful to have worked with him. Since then I have just been building one frame after another and learning as much as possible along the way. I build steel fillet-brazed frames that go by the name of MEECH, which is an old nickname that I have had since I was a kid. I build mostly cyclocross frames because I love their versatility however I also do road,single-speed, and mountain bikes as well. Custom frames start around $1400. All the frames are handmade by me here in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I am insured and guarantee all of my work so if you are in the market for a custom steel frame I would be glad to build it for you. I am also building frames from carbon fiber so if you would like to ride a prototype frame give me a shout. Thanks for stopping by. You can email me at meech151@hotmail.com or call (870)897-6703 or visit www.meechcustombicycles.com Thanks.

Friday, April 6, 2012

Next

First paint job is complete.Whats the verdict?  Well, I can't call myself a professional painter yet, after all this is the first one, however it is doable and the second one is already in the works.  After making the first initial mistakes I sanded it down, cleaned the slate, and reshot it.  I worked out the stencil and logo issues I had on the first attempt and I have to say I was pretty happy with how it turned out.  There were a couple of rough spots around the edges of the letters but other than that not bad.  So now its time to clear coat it.  I had a fresh can of clear coat that the catalyst had never been broken so I planned on using that.  What I forgot was that when I bought this clear a while back I had them put a pearl finish in it. So thats why it has that frosted look to it.  Each coat of clear I put on the frame it got a little more frosty looking.  Ever onward!  Just roll with it.  It is what it is. Let's get the next one in the booth.  Progress to be made.  I'm pulling out the big guns on the next one.

This is an older used frame that was laying around so I stripped it down and decided to make use of it. Its a solid cross frame with a mono stay and its got some nice fillets.  The fork is a 1 1/8" steel so its beefy and solid and should ride like its on rails.  Should you want to lighten it up a little for the races you can always throw some Easton carbon on it.  You could make it sub-18 pretty easy.

Handmade and painted by me in Arkansas. Ace's Wild Custom is still the man when it comes to painting the customers frames however I'm gonna continue painting random frames in order to make them a little more my own and perhaps before long they'll start looking sweet.  There is a certain satisfaction that comes from building your own frame and painting it makes it that much more special.  I'm a fly fisherman and so quite a few years  ago I started tying all my own flies.  Then I started building custom fly rods.  That first fish that you catch on your own fly you have to give him a big kiss and then show him the rod that hauled him in before sending him  back out on his way.  It gives him something to tell his buddies later that night at the bar.  He'll say, "Man, I swear it looked just like a real sow bug, and you should seen the stick that cowboy was carrying.  I know he didn't just go buy that at the fly shop, no way man, that stuff was custom."  This conversation at the bar between fishes never takes place though if you decide to throw him on the grill.  Although his buddies might be hangin around the bar having a beer and be asking if anyone knows where their buddy is.  Fish do some crazy stuff man.  Ever seen Arizona Dream with Johnny Depp and Vincent Gallo?

Theres that trademark painted seat lug.  I have to say this turned out rather nicely.  I like it.

What is that on the chain stays?  I'm not sure.  I thought I had a swanky plan but sometimes things don't go as planned.  Oh well, live and learn.  Don't think this is the last time I'm gonna get swanky with it.  Its just gonna take a little time to dial it in.  One of these days I'm gonna do a full-on graffiti bike.  I'm gonna paint the tires and everything.   Imagine just painting over a $3000 Super Record gruppo.  I think that might be considered bike blasphemy.

It actually looked much better before the frosty pearl clear coat was added.  It won't affect the ride, it may even help pick up some swanky women.

For some reason every time I scroll down to the next photo the font changes sizes.  What the ....?

Whats next?  You'll see next week.  I've got about three more frames to paint and then I should be a professional.  Just kidding.  If there are any frame builders checking this out and you've never painted one of your own frames, let me tell ya, it ain't easy.  You should go give your painter a big thank you hug and maybe buy him a gift.  Always tip the painters. Gotta keep'em happy.  The website is getting closer to done.  I hoped it would be finished already but it needs another week or so.  Have a good weekend and Happy Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment