About Me

My photo
Back in my hometown of Jonesboro., Arkansas, United States
My name is Dimitri Harris and I have been building frames for over 9 years now. I learned the basics after spending two weeks with Koichi Yamaguchi. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met and I am thankful to have worked with him. Since then I have just been building one frame after another and learning as much as possible along the way. I build steel fillet-brazed frames that go by the name of MEECH, which is an old nickname that I have had since I was a kid. I build mostly cyclocross frames because I love their versatility however I also do road,single-speed, and mountain bikes as well. Custom frames start around $1400. All the frames are handmade by me here in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I am insured and guarantee all of my work so if you are in the market for a custom steel frame I would be glad to build it for you. I am also building frames from carbon fiber so if you would like to ride a prototype frame give me a shout. Thanks for stopping by. You can email me at meech151@hotmail.com or call (870)897-6703 or visit www.meechcustombicycles.com Thanks.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Hey, Thats no MEECH

Over the 4th of July I was at my mother's house going through some old photos when I came across this one of my dad years ago.  I never ever saw my dad on a bicycle so I was pretty surprised to come across this.  He was old school, you know, football with leather helmets, boxing, etc. In either l945 or l947 he was a Golden Gloves boxing champion and he went on to train fighters after that.  He tried to teach me how to box when I was little but after my big sister knocked me over the coffee table he told me I should hang up my gloves and focus more on getting away from danger so I guess thats how I got into bicycles.  He had his sports and I had mine but we were equally passionate about what we chose.  One afternoon he tried to walk on my turf and heres what happened.  I was outside with my skateboard on the hill in front of our house when my dad came home for lunch.  After lunch he came outside to get in his car when he saw me walking up the hill.  Being the good dad that he was he decided to spend a quick moment with his son so he came walking out in the street and said, "Here, give me that skating-board, I used to be the champion on these things."  He's wearing dress pants, a white dress shirt, and some Wing Tip shoes. So he practically takes the skateboard away from me and before I know it he's riding down the hill.  About half way down this hill it had a sharp little dip in it that doubled your speed and it was about this time that he developed that famous speed wobble that all skaters are familiar with.  So he bails off at about 20 mph and I guess Wing Tip shoes aren't much for running because the rest was total carnage. Wiped out hard! Cartwheels, flips, no hander lander, he bought it all.  He comes walking back up the hill with both knees ripped out of his pants, scuffed up shoes, and the little bit of that white shirt that was still hanging on him was covered in blood. When he gets to where I'm standing he just hands me the skateboard without saying a word and went back inside and let my mom patch him up. I doubt it if he was ever really a skateboard champion but he did some things that day that I hadn't seen yet.  In his younger days he looked like a cross between Dinero and Fonzie.  He was pretty cool but I'm afraid that he would probably get dropped riding that cruiser with the seat so low, and from the looks of that basket on the front I'm guessing he crashed that bicycle at least a couple of times. Probably why I never saw him on one.  Fly with MEECH!

No comments:

Post a Comment