About Me

My photo
Back in my hometown of Jonesboro., Arkansas, United States
My name is Dimitri Harris and I have been building frames for over 9 years now. I learned the basics after spending two weeks with Koichi Yamaguchi. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met and I am thankful to have worked with him. Since then I have just been building one frame after another and learning as much as possible along the way. I build steel fillet-brazed frames that go by the name of MEECH, which is an old nickname that I have had since I was a kid. I build mostly cyclocross frames because I love their versatility however I also do road,single-speed, and mountain bikes as well. Custom frames start around $1400. All the frames are handmade by me here in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I am insured and guarantee all of my work so if you are in the market for a custom steel frame I would be glad to build it for you. I am also building frames from carbon fiber so if you would like to ride a prototype frame give me a shout. Thanks for stopping by. You can email me at meech151@hotmail.com or call (870)897-6703 or visit www.meechcustombicycles.com Thanks.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Carbon Build

Got the carbon frame all tacked together this weekend and it looks like a bike frame however I have only done the easy part.  Laying down the carbon patches and the vacuum bagging is gonna be where all the strength comes from however I have to build up some fillets around all the joints first and this will provide some extra strength as well as give me a smoother foundation for the carbon layup.  I have to remind myself that on this first carbon frame I am just shooting to get a good, solid, rideable frameset but I also am hoping that it doesn't look like a pile of rags while I'm riding it.  I shouldn't even pay attention to the weight however I can't help it, building a lighter frame is the main reason I am experimenting with carbon.  Right now its 2.22 lbs in a size 58cm without the tubes trimmed.  I am hoping that the finished frame will be sub 3 lbs but we'll see.  The next weigh-in will be after I have all the fillets laid down. I'm fixin' to start on that right now. Stay tuned.  How bout that Tour?  I don't have a clue who's gonna win but I bet we're gonna see Alberto Contador climb like a maniac before too long.  Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment