About Me

My photo
Back in my hometown of Jonesboro., Arkansas, United States
My name is Dimitri Harris and I have been building frames for over 9 years now. I learned the basics after spending two weeks with Koichi Yamaguchi. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met and I am thankful to have worked with him. Since then I have just been building one frame after another and learning as much as possible along the way. I build steel fillet-brazed frames that go by the name of MEECH, which is an old nickname that I have had since I was a kid. I build mostly cyclocross frames because I love their versatility however I also do road,single-speed, and mountain bikes as well. Custom frames start around $1400. All the frames are handmade by me here in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I am insured and guarantee all of my work so if you are in the market for a custom steel frame I would be glad to build it for you. I am also building frames from carbon fiber so if you would like to ride a prototype frame give me a shout. Thanks for stopping by. You can email me at meech151@hotmail.com or call (870)897-6703 or visit www.meechcustombicycles.com Thanks.

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Cut, Fit, and Ready for Brazing

I got Steve's frame all cut and fit yesterday and I'm just waiting on the BB shell to get engraved and then some brazing can commence.  Got to go put in a day at the bistro but I'll be back soon to put the finish on this post.... there I'm back.  Almost like I never left.  

Gotta love a tight rear end. I realized during this build that mitering and fitting the chain and seat stays is probably my favorite part of the building process. I always knew inside that I never really minded doing them but I just sort of realized that I truly enjoy doing them.  I have no idea why.  I guess I just love rear ends.  I enjoy doing the down tube alot also, oh yeah and the painting.  There is actually no part of the frame building process that I dislike but some things stand out more than others.  I don't care much for having to spray primer and then having to clean and sand it all but its not that bad, I just don't like breathing all that dust.  Anyway, this is ready to stick.

I had to post a picture of this seat tube.  When I saw it from a distance in the shop it just looked so cool I thought, "Man you got a shoot a photo of that."  Its a bit different.  Ovalizing the tubes is not that hard to do it just takes some extra time, but having a custom built "one of a kind frame" is worth every second.  Its neat to think that something in the world is built/made especially for you and no one else, somebody else can ride it, but its yours.  Enjoy!

Tightness, and cleanly I might add.



Doing a little internal brake routing on this frame.  There will be caps over the entrance and exit but I haven't gotten that far yet, that comes at braze-on time.  Oh yeah, braze-ons are not high on my list of fun things to do but a necessity none the less.


Complete frame cut and fit and ready to be brazed up.  I'm going to get the bottom bracket shell this morning so hopefully I'll get some good work done this afternoon.  Thanks for checking things out.  Have a good weekend.  The days are longer and its getting warm.  I've been getting out on my bike a little more here lately, short rides but better than none at all.

Oh yeah, I finally figured something out that was bugging me.  Don't know if you've noticed or not but my blog has ads on it.  Its just something that they asked me if I wanted to try and they said I could make money for the advertising and so I said, "Why not?"  So anyway, I've yet to receive any money because apparently they don't send you your first check until you've reached a hundred bucks.  Well, I've had this blog going on close to 4 years now and so I guess that shows us how profitable this advertising thing is.  I thought I was gonna be receiving checks weekly.  No worries, I don't do it for the money.  But here these last few months I've been noticing nothing but ladies advertisements on my blog page, ladies clothes, ladies shoes, etc.  Not really what I want on my bike frame building web page.  I mean I hope ladies find my blog interesting just as much as I want men to but I'm not into advertising high heels and pink panties.  In the past I've seen some good ads on here.  Bike companies, travel companies, a Can-Am motorcycle ad, carbon fiber companies, you know some quality stuff that guys would like to check out.  So I was constantly wondering, "Why are all the ads on my web page ladies clothing related?"  Now I know.  Google takes all your web searches and advertises the ones that you are looking at the most frequently.  Now you're probably wondering, "Dimitri, why are you spending so much time looking at women's clothing, do you have a secret or something you would like to get out?  The answer is no.  I could care less about women's clothing. I mean I enjoy seeing nicely dressed women as much as any man would and I also want my wife to have nice clothes but I don't pay too much attention to any of that stuff.  Actually I prefer women with as little clothing as possible.  Just kidding, well sort of.  So anyway, that brings me to the point of this story.  When my wife is on the computer she is constantly shopping, looking at clothes, looking at shoes, work out stuff, etc.  She spends more time searching for clothes and shoes than I spend looking at bikes, motorcycles, racing, carbon fiber, etc.  So now I have to spend more time on the computer googling manly bike building stuff than Anne spends googling girl stuff.  Its gonna be tough.  I may have to start training again, but the race is on.  Its on Tyrone! Baby its on!

No comments:

Post a Comment