About Me

My photo
Back in my hometown of Jonesboro., Arkansas, United States
My name is Dimitri Harris and I have been building frames for over 9 years now. I learned the basics after spending two weeks with Koichi Yamaguchi. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met and I am thankful to have worked with him. Since then I have just been building one frame after another and learning as much as possible along the way. I build steel fillet-brazed frames that go by the name of MEECH, which is an old nickname that I have had since I was a kid. I build mostly cyclocross frames because I love their versatility however I also do road,single-speed, and mountain bikes as well. Custom frames start around $1400. All the frames are handmade by me here in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I am insured and guarantee all of my work so if you are in the market for a custom steel frame I would be glad to build it for you. I am also building frames from carbon fiber so if you would like to ride a prototype frame give me a shout. Thanks for stopping by. You can email me at meech151@hotmail.com or call (870)897-6703 or visit www.meechcustombicycles.com Thanks.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

1976 Schwinn Scrambler Model BX1-6

Someone just sent me an email inquiring about possibly building a BMX frame similar to an older Schwinn model and it just got the juices flowing about my first new bicycle as a kid.  After searching through hundreds of Schwinn images and not finding my bike, I about fell out when this image popped up.  This was my exact bike.  This is where it all began. I remember being at Jimmy's Bike Shop in old downtown Jonesboro and admiring it while sitting on it.  It was $125 and I remember thinking that there is no way I'll ever get that bike.  My mom told me, "I don't know, maybe for a birthday present."  When I came home one day and saw this thing sitting in the driveway I couldn't believe it.  It was a miracle.  I rode the wheels off of this thing.  We rode wheelies, jumped ramps, and were mountain biking when mountain biking was just  called 'playing.'  Just seeing this picture blows me away.  We would build a ramp and jump over each other.  Sometimes we would have 3-4 of us laying down behind the ramp and totally trusting that the stuntman was gonna clear us all.  You always wanted to be the kid closest to the ramp because you knew you were probably gonna walk away, but if you were that last kid you were always a little sketched out and usually had your hands over your balls. Rightly so huh? When you were 8 yrs. old,  jumping ramps is what balls were for.  As far as I'm concerned, thats what they're still for.

No comments:

Post a Comment