I've been waiting on a couple of much needed items for 2 different frames so I've been bouncing back and forth doing as much to one frame as possible and then back to the other. This frame here is a cross frame I've been planning for a while and just got started. Its gonna have disc brakes and I'm going to use that swanky, tapered head tube that I showed a while back. I decided to swank-out the chain stays as well. They are True Temper's s-bend 'cross chain stay with a little added MEECH-flair.
I like the cutout, chainring clearance look. I first used this on Branton's 'cross frame a few weeks back and he said it feels pretty solid so I think you'll probably start seeing more of it. I was concerned about flex issues from filing out close to half of the stay but after you braze in a solid piece of tubing I don't think they are going anywhere. After all, with the wheel locked in place both stays would have to flex, not to mention the seat stays as well. I also use some pretty beefy fillets around the bottom bracked area on my cyclocross frames, but whenever I try something new that I am unfamiliar with I'm always a bit apprehensive, let's say cautiously optimistic, until its tried and tested, then I breathe a little easier. I'm no longer concerned. This hole was simply filed out with a half-round.
Used a piece of tubing cut in half to match the diameter of the file. I hold it in place with a small clamp in order to tack it...,
...cut the excess off with a Dremel. Careful with those things, they can ruin a frame real quick.
The clean-up work is the hardest part of the whole process. I always put a couple layers of duct tape around the area just in case the file slips.
And here is the end result other than rinsing off the flux. Super-easy and very clean.
The weather has been crazy-good these last few days. I got out for 3 straight rides the last couple of days, I don't want to stop now. Thanks for checking things out and have a good weekend. If you're racing this weekend, ATTACK! Chao amigos.