About Me

My photo
Back in my hometown of Jonesboro., Arkansas, United States
My name is Dimitri Harris and I have been building frames for over 9 years now. I learned the basics after spending two weeks with Koichi Yamaguchi. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met and I am thankful to have worked with him. Since then I have just been building one frame after another and learning as much as possible along the way. I build steel fillet-brazed frames that go by the name of MEECH, which is an old nickname that I have had since I was a kid. I build mostly cyclocross frames because I love their versatility however I also do road,single-speed, and mountain bikes as well. Custom frames start around $1400. All the frames are handmade by me here in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I am insured and guarantee all of my work so if you are in the market for a custom steel frame I would be glad to build it for you. I am also building frames from carbon fiber so if you would like to ride a prototype frame give me a shout. Thanks for stopping by. You can email me at meech151@hotmail.com or call (870)897-6703 or visit www.meechcustombicycles.com Thanks.

Friday, March 16, 2012

I've been waiting on a couple of much needed items for 2 different frames so I've been bouncing back and forth doing as much to one frame as possible and then back to the other.  This frame here is a cross frame I've been planning for a while and just got started.  Its gonna have disc brakes and I'm going to use that swanky, tapered head tube that I showed a while back.  I decided to swank-out the chain stays as well.  They are True Temper's s-bend 'cross chain stay with a little added MEECH-flair.

I like the cutout, chainring clearance look.  I first used this on Branton's 'cross frame a few weeks back and he said it feels pretty solid so I think you'll probably start seeing more of it.  I was concerned about flex issues from filing out close to half of the stay but after you braze in a solid piece of tubing I don't think they are going anywhere.  After all, with the wheel locked in place both stays would have to flex, not to mention the seat stays as well. I also use some pretty beefy fillets around the bottom bracked area on my cyclocross frames, but whenever I try something new that I am unfamiliar with I'm always a bit apprehensive, let's say cautiously optimistic, until its tried and tested, then I breathe a little easier.  I'm no longer concerned.  This hole was simply filed out with a half-round.

Used a piece of tubing cut in half to match the diameter of the file.  I hold it in place with a small clamp in order to tack it...,

...cut the excess off with a Dremel.  Careful with those things, they can ruin a frame real quick.

The clean-up work is the hardest part of the whole process.  I always put a couple layers of duct tape around the area just in case the file slips.  

And here is the end result other than rinsing off the flux.  Super-easy and very clean.

The weather has been crazy-good these last few days.  I got out for 3 straight rides the last couple of days, I don't want to stop now.  Thanks for checking things out and have a good weekend.  If you're racing this weekend,  ATTACK!  Chao amigos.

No comments:

Post a Comment