About Me

My photo
Back in my hometown of Jonesboro., Arkansas, United States
My name is Dimitri Harris and I have been building frames for over 9 years now. I learned the basics after spending two weeks with Koichi Yamaguchi. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met and I am thankful to have worked with him. Since then I have just been building one frame after another and learning as much as possible along the way. I build steel fillet-brazed frames that go by the name of MEECH, which is an old nickname that I have had since I was a kid. I build mostly cyclocross frames because I love their versatility however I also do road,single-speed, and mountain bikes as well. Custom frames start around $1400. All the frames are handmade by me here in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I am insured and guarantee all of my work so if you are in the market for a custom steel frame I would be glad to build it for you. I am also building frames from carbon fiber so if you would like to ride a prototype frame give me a shout. Thanks for stopping by. You can email me at meech151@hotmail.com or call (870)897-6703 or visit www.meechcustombicycles.com Thanks.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Caesar's Di2 Road Racer

Got started on a new road racing frame a few days ago for Caesar.  Gonna go light and tight on this one with a couple ports for Di2.  I decided to put a little bi-oval look into the  34.9mm down tube and the seat tube is ovalized as well at the bottom bracket.  This is gonna be a 52cm with a slightly sloping top tube so stiffness will not be a problem.  You couldn't flex those chainstays even if you wanted to.  Go ahead, try.  See, told you.  I think all these stiffness issues that every company is trying to address is a bit overkill.  It all depends on what you like I guess but I can't help but to laugh when I see these new carbon frames with
3 1/2" down tubes, however they're really nice for when you're riding through puddles and you want to put you feet up higher to keep them dry.  I saw Alejandro Valverde do that once while going uphill and he still one the sprint.  "What?"  That's right!  Uphill sprint, through a puddle, with his feet (dry mind you) up on the down tube, and his arms raised.  The guy who got runner-up is still crying.  I've got a new favorite racer.  Give me a couple of days and I'll tell you all about him.  Lets move on.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words and I'm glad because I can't think of a thousand words to say about this picture.  I'm not even sure if I have a thousand words in my vocabulary, but I've got a thousand images in my head at any given moment so do the math on that one while the rest of us look at some more pictures. I failed Trigonometry in college, twice.  The sad part is I never even had to take it in the first place, I just signed up for it one semester to see what it was like.  After failing it the first time I had to take it again to get the "F" off my report card. Now I got two "F's" on it, all because I couldn't figure out how to draw an apple with a calculator.  WTF!  I blame the professor for not teaching me correctly, and that Zoology professor can kiss my arse also.  I didn't see one animal in that class all semester long unless you count that dog the blind girl brought in and she was in the wrong class that day. "Dissect a grasshopper, are you kidding me? I just stepped on it, I don't care what's in it. And this book is heavy, where can I get the cliff notes?"


I was just trying to come up with some new pictures for you.  Use your illusions. Isn't that a GnR record? "Oh no, you're not gonna play some old, lame GnR video from the 90's are you?"
Well I was, but I'll try to find something else.  Let's see.





I always like to throw a level on the chainstays to make sure my miters are centered.



I still have a couple more things to do but for the most part its ready to tack. 

I tried to make the wire transfer openings as large and clean as possible because sometimes internal can be a real pain.  This cutout is around an inch wide so hopefully that'll make things a little easier.

You can see the chainstay access opening through the down tube here.

Making sure the grommets fit nice and tight without issue.  

I had to know how difficult it was gonna be to feed the wire through so I did a little test run.
It only took a couple of tries.  After trying to run the wire straight through without luck I took a piece of stiff, bendable wire and fed it through and then taped it to the shifter wire and  it pulled through nice and easy.  This is actually the bottom of the chainstay and not the top.  I got everything tacked in place and tomorrow morning I'll braze it up.  Thanks for stopping by.






No comments:

Post a Comment