About Me

My photo
Back in my hometown of Jonesboro., Arkansas, United States
My name is Dimitri Harris and I have been building frames for over 9 years now. I learned the basics after spending two weeks with Koichi Yamaguchi. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met and I am thankful to have worked with him. Since then I have just been building one frame after another and learning as much as possible along the way. I build steel fillet-brazed frames that go by the name of MEECH, which is an old nickname that I have had since I was a kid. I build mostly cyclocross frames because I love their versatility however I also do road,single-speed, and mountain bikes as well. Custom frames start around $1400. All the frames are handmade by me here in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I am insured and guarantee all of my work so if you are in the market for a custom steel frame I would be glad to build it for you. I am also building frames from carbon fiber so if you would like to ride a prototype frame give me a shout. Thanks for stopping by. You can email me at meech151@hotmail.com or call (870)897-6703 or visit www.meechcustombicycles.com Thanks.

Monday, March 17, 2014

S and S Couplers

I got some good experience with the S and S coupler system this weekend.  These things seem like they've been around forever but this is the first time I've actually used them.  There isn't that much to them but I always enjoy learning new stuff so I'm glad to finally work with them.  The hardest part for me is getting that little spring-like retainer ring on and off.  I didn't even shoot a picture of it but I'll try to get one here shortly.  Everything else just boils down to a couple of precise measurements and cleanup work.  There is actually an extra tube shown here because when I placed the original order I ordered a 1 3/8" for the down tube and a 1 1/8" for the top. I forgot that I was using a 1 1/4" top tube on this frame, so I ended up with an extra to practice with.  I'm already planning another  frame to use it on.
Here is a quick shot of the retaining ring.  Its basically just like a key-ring and I've found that the best way to put it on is basically just like putting a tire on a rim, put a small portion on and then just work your way around slowly until it snaps into place.  After doing it a couple times and getting comfortable its not bad at all.


Actually what I should've said, is that there isn't much to installing them.  I'm not a machinist but I imagine the process of making them has a bit of complexity.  I would love to watch them being made as they're very well thought out and beautifully machined. I never gave them much thought in the past however after working with them I realize how invaluble they are.

This is actually just the mock-up coupling that they give you so you don't scratch up the main stainless lock nut.  Since I was cleaning up the lugs I decided to go ahead and put a little shine on this coupling as well.  Once I started shining everything up I didn't want to stop.

The main coupling of course.


Once I get these tacked in place I can start a little fillet-brazing. Back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment