About Me

My photo
Back in my hometown of Jonesboro., Arkansas, United States
My name is Dimitri Harris and I have been building frames for over 9 years now. I learned the basics after spending two weeks with Koichi Yamaguchi. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met and I am thankful to have worked with him. Since then I have just been building one frame after another and learning as much as possible along the way. I build steel fillet-brazed frames that go by the name of MEECH, which is an old nickname that I have had since I was a kid. I build mostly cyclocross frames because I love their versatility however I also do road,single-speed, and mountain bikes as well. Custom frames start around $1400. All the frames are handmade by me here in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I am insured and guarantee all of my work so if you are in the market for a custom steel frame I would be glad to build it for you. I am also building frames from carbon fiber so if you would like to ride a prototype frame give me a shout. Thanks for stopping by. You can email me at meech151@hotmail.com or call (870)897-6703 or visit www.meechcustombicycles.com Thanks.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Fixie Progress

I made a little progress on the fixed-gear frame this weekend.  This has been a slow build because its not for anyone in particular and what started out as "just gonna build a simple fixie frame because I had some track dropouts laying around",  has turned into a one-off-fest.  I was just gonna throw some drop bars on this thing but then I decided to try my luck with some handmade aero bars.  With a little steel stock that was laying around and some airplane strut tubing from the Spruce I brazed up my first set and they're not so bad.  Let me change that, they're bad, they're "jam beef-mondo bad."  I built them fairly quickly and on Saturday morning I was cleaning up the brazing when I decided to test the strength.  I mounted them in the BB shell fixture on my alignment table and grabbed them on the ends and put a little body weight on them.  I felt a little bend in them before I got the entire $1.60 that I weigh on them. Where the aero tubes were brazed onto the stem tube was folding inward, stem was too light. What do you expect, I'm an ex-racer, I want my bike to weigh nothing.  Damn, not good, screwed-up, wasted time, yeah I was pissed.  Pffff, garbage can.  Wait just a second there hotshot, you can fix these.  So I ripped the bars of the stem, cut the stem tube off about one inch in front of the steerer clamp and used that as an inside lug and slid a larger beefier tube over it, and then re-brazed it with a mondo fillet.  The stem is the "beef", the fillet is "mondo", and the "jam" is just something that sounds sweet, "jam beef-mondo bars."  Now you can do tricep dips on 'em. If you hit a car with these something is gonna get scratched.  I included a couple of pics of the fork.  I still haven't brazed the crown race ring on yet.  I'm out of silver and i can't order any until my new credit card shows up.  Apparently someone got the number off the old one so its best just to change.  You can see the cut-outs I put on the inside of the fork blades so you can get an average sized tire in there.  I've made a couple of mistakes during this build but they were easily fixed and educational so no big deal.  Got a few more fine details before its completed but it will be done before long.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how I want to paint this thing.  Racey. Chao.





2 comments:

  1. This is looking pretty interesting. Kind of want to ride it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steve, whats up. Yeah its definitely gonna be one of a kind. I don't think Thor Hushovd could flex these bars. I still have a few more little features in store for it. Check back. Have a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete