About Me

My photo
Back in my hometown of Jonesboro., Arkansas, United States
My name is Dimitri Harris and I have been building frames for over 9 years now. I learned the basics after spending two weeks with Koichi Yamaguchi. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met and I am thankful to have worked with him. Since then I have just been building one frame after another and learning as much as possible along the way. I build steel fillet-brazed frames that go by the name of MEECH, which is an old nickname that I have had since I was a kid. I build mostly cyclocross frames because I love their versatility however I also do road,single-speed, and mountain bikes as well. Custom frames start around $1400. All the frames are handmade by me here in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I am insured and guarantee all of my work so if you are in the market for a custom steel frame I would be glad to build it for you. I am also building frames from carbon fiber so if you would like to ride a prototype frame give me a shout. Thanks for stopping by. You can email me at meech151@hotmail.com or call (870)897-6703 or visit www.meechcustombicycles.com Thanks.

Monday, October 12, 2015

Paint Work on MX Helmet

I've had the itch to play around with some painting ideas and so I got out the old motocross helmet, sanded and primed it, and then gave it the old college try.  Believe it or not, there was actually a Troy Lee Designs paint scheme on this helmet before I painted it. Yep, you heard me correctly,  I sanded down and painted over Troy Lee's work.  While the original paint scheme that he had done was pretty nice, for some reason it never really felt right to me. He kinda missed what I was trying to achieve.  But that's ok.  I wore the helmet many years and was tired of looking at that old paint job and decided to give it a MEECH makeover.  In some ways it turned out better than I expected but the whole  Toxic Orange bit on the front kinda disappointed me.  I should've just went with the free hand over the entire helmet instead of trying to mix it up. I can always repaint it again but for now this is it.  I don't have a motorcycle to ride at the moment but I've had a real bad itch here lately.  I have a MX track so close to my house that I can hear them riding on the weekends.  I've been over there about once a week since moving back to Jonesboro.  I even bought a pair of boots the other day off of  Ebay.  I think I've officially entered my mid-life crisis. Not sure how this is gonna play out over the next few months but the MEECH Custom Bicycles blog could turn into the MEECH Bicycles and Motocross Bikes blog.

You can see where I peeled the Troy Lee sticker off the visor.

Not a very good picture here because of the flash.  I had no plan at all as to how I was gonna paint it other than I wanted a yellow base. The rest is just picking a color and a brush and having at it. I did all this paint work with 3 different brushes and I didn't reduce the paint because I thought it might dilute the colors, so there is a little bit of texture created where the paint was a bit thicker. Normally I believe everyone uses an airbursh for jobs like this but I prefer the raw look of bristles.  For the most part it's pretty smooth. Next time I may reduce it a little and see what happens. Like my friend Bob Davis always says, "At 100mph no one will ever notice. 
I had intended to have the MEECH logo painted across the back in black but I was short on time and ready to finish it up.  I'm ready to let go of my hands on a bike frame.  Shouldn't be long.  I've got a touring frame sitting in the shop that is awaiting a fork and then I'm gonna have at it.  I got some new epoxy primer to try out as well.  Supposedly it's some hot stuff.  We'll see.  Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. Will these be available to the team? After my race this past weekend at the Treaty Oak Ranch and distillery, I my need a better helmet. I've raced at a vineyard, and now at a distillery. At least after the race I could say "give me a double straight up" That's Texas style racn'. Let's just say the MEECH frame was tested again! Not even a scratch--on the bike that is-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been contemplating painting bicycle helmets as well. They look like a nightmare to tape off. Yeah, it would be nice to get a shot of something after a bad race. We've all been there. Like my dad use to tell me, "If you're on your feet, keep swingin."

    ReplyDelete