About Me

My photo
Back in my hometown of Jonesboro., Arkansas, United States
My name is Dimitri Harris and I have been building frames for over 9 years now. I learned the basics after spending two weeks with Koichi Yamaguchi. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met and I am thankful to have worked with him. Since then I have just been building one frame after another and learning as much as possible along the way. I build steel fillet-brazed frames that go by the name of MEECH, which is an old nickname that I have had since I was a kid. I build mostly cyclocross frames because I love their versatility however I also do road,single-speed, and mountain bikes as well. Custom frames start around $1400. All the frames are handmade by me here in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I am insured and guarantee all of my work so if you are in the market for a custom steel frame I would be glad to build it for you. I am also building frames from carbon fiber so if you would like to ride a prototype frame give me a shout. Thanks for stopping by. You can email me at meech151@hotmail.com or call (870)897-6703 or visit www.meechcustombicycles.com Thanks.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Cross Season is Coming


All right, I know this doesn't look like much of anything but for some reason when I saw this brand new cross tire mounted on a Mavic Pro rim with a Campy Record hub I just started feeling all excited inside.  I'm trying to finish up a pretty cool little frame and I needed this in order to check my spacing.  At first I mounted this onto an older Mavic Cosmic Carbone wheel and I've honestly never had as much trouble getting a tire on a rim as I did that one.  Now, imagine that after you finally get the tire on the wheel you try to pump it up but the tube has a hole in it because you butchered it trying to get the tire on.  Ok, now the tire that you couldn't get on the rim has to come off.  This was when the true fun started.  Now I would like to pause and say something to the idiot who invented bladed spokes.

"IDIOT!"

Ahh, that felt good.

Ever used a hammer to take a tire off a rim?  I hadn't until yesterday.  I thought I was gonna have to cut the tire off the rim, and had it not been a brand new tire I probably would have.  Instead, I decided to break tire levers, slice up my knuckles, and stain my shorts with blood.  I was definitely not feeling in charge of the way things were going, however this photo shows that in the end I did prevail. I managed to get a couple of tire levers under the tire and then I had to take a wooden block and gradually tap the tire lever around the rim. Yes, I scuffed up a nice carbon rim in the process. So after all this, I mounted the tire on this here wheel,  pumped up the tire, leaned it against the stand, and took a long look at it. I began to feel warm and fuzzy inside.  I imagined cold, rainy weather (which I hate), and me out there on the road putting in some serious miles on my special bike.  Of course its not my bike and I probably won't get out in the cold rain, but anyway its what I was imagining.  Should be done shortly so check back.  Thanks for stopping by.


MEECH Custom Bicycles
Mountain Home, Arkansas

No comments:

Post a Comment