About Me

My photo
Back in my hometown of Jonesboro., Arkansas, United States
My name is Dimitri Harris and I have been building frames for over 9 years now. I learned the basics after spending two weeks with Koichi Yamaguchi. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met and I am thankful to have worked with him. Since then I have just been building one frame after another and learning as much as possible along the way. I build steel fillet-brazed frames that go by the name of MEECH, which is an old nickname that I have had since I was a kid. I build mostly cyclocross frames because I love their versatility however I also do road,single-speed, and mountain bikes as well. Custom frames start around $1400. All the frames are handmade by me here in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I am insured and guarantee all of my work so if you are in the market for a custom steel frame I would be glad to build it for you. I am also building frames from carbon fiber so if you would like to ride a prototype frame give me a shout. Thanks for stopping by. You can email me at meech151@hotmail.com or call (870)897-6703 or visit www.meechcustombicycles.com Thanks.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

650B Belt-Drive #2




Here is a photo of the second 650B mountain bike that I am finishing up. It also is built to accommodate a belt-driven drivetrain. I never intended to build any mountain bikes but after someone gave me the chance to build them one I took it. It was an interesting and unique build for a new builder like myself and after having someone test it out and like the way it rides it made me a little more comfortable with this build. Everything has gone pretty smooth on this one except that after bending the chain stays I realized that the method I used had left 2 little indentations in each one so I had to fill them in with a little brass and sand them down and they're good to go. If everything went perfect it wouldn't be frame building and because of that little mistake someone is gonna get a sweet deal, I'll even add a couple of years to the warranty. After I finish brazing up a frame I put in back in the jig and put a little heat on all the joints this way it cools down perfectly straight and it limits the amount of cold-setting I have to do. When I first started frame building I just assumed that my high-dollar carbon race frame was perfectly straight but after putting it on my alignment table I realized the center line was about 4mm off on the seat tube, I was really surprised, and happy, because my frames are much straighter. Hopefully not all production frames are off that much, regardless, a well-built handmade frame is better. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment