About Me

My photo
Mountain Home, Arkansas, United States
My name is Dimitri Harris and I have been building frames for over 6 years now. I learned the basics after spending two weeks with Koichi Yamaguchi. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met and I am thankful to have worked with him. Since then I have just been building one frame after another and learning as much as possible along the way. I build steel fillet-brazed frames that go by the name of MEECH, its an old nickname that I have had since I was a kid. I build mostly cyclocross frames because I love their versatility however I also do road,single-speed, and mountain bikes as well. Custom frames start around $1400. All the frames are handmade by me here in Mountain Home, Arkansas. I am insured and guarantee all of my work so if you are in the market for a custom steel frame I would be glad to build it for you. I am also building frames from carbon fiber so if you would like to ride a prototype frame give me a shout. Thanks for stopping by. You can email me at meech151@hotmail.com or call (870)897-6703 or visit www.meechcustombicycles.com Thanks.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Yamaha Moto-Bike

All this talk about the Moto-Bike and I had to dig up a photo just for the sake of it, some of you may not know what I'm talking about.  This kind of stuff is what got me started.  I never had one of these but my friend Kevin Jones, who I was always getting into some sort of trouble with, rode one of these.  He would do all sorts of stunts on it.  In addition to jumping it he could stand up on the two tubes that run from up near the head tube to the back of the bike.  He would stand straight up on them with his arms out to his side and just coast down hills kinda like Evel Knievel did on his motorcycle.  It doesn't sound like much but it was carnage waiting to happen.  However, the true carnage was when one day he decided to fire up his dad's Hodaka 250 motocrosser and ran it through the door and up into the house.  That story is actually one of the first things that i put on my blog.    Enjoy.http://meechcustombikes.blogspot.com/2009/06/creating-better-world-part-ii-kevin.html

3 comments:

  1. Hi I had one of those bikes when I was about 12 or 13 we had to buy it at the Yamaha motorcycle shop it rode great and jumped and landed smooth it was $150.00 in 1976 and 1977 in Hendersonville tn and Iived in old hickory tn outside Nashville tn. I just wanted to say I really liked my Yamaha moto bike. I wish I still had it ,it had the black plastic 5 spoke rims not chrome spoke.thanks mike, in tennessee..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike, I'm a couple of months late on this reply but I just now saw your comment. My mother and sister live in your neck of the woods. Its good to hear your story. I always love it when I write something from my childhood and someone reads it and can relate. Just a good feeling. Thanks for checking out the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These bikes were great. I had one in the late 70s as a kid. Girlfriend fit nice and snug on the back !!

    ReplyDelete